I have recently finished and queried a young adult horror novel. I’m sitting here, like,
I have agents reading my work, and it’s worse than a freaking blind date! I want to tell you all about my novel. I want to be like i’m here world! Read this! In reality, I’m trying to act like I’ve got this.
And whenever someone asks me about my novel, I’m like, “Yeah dude. I got this.”
In reality, I’m back in my shell, trying to think about my novel in the hands of wicked awesome agents who could say no.
A friend of mine (who writes New Adult and you should totally buy her freaking awesome books, because I’m not a fan of New Adult, but I love her work) gave me the best advice. Start a new project!
I have so many ideas, that I’m like, oookkayyy…
So where do I start? A playlist, which inevitably gets modified as I go along. Here is the playlist for novel that I’m querying.
- MERCY, Duffy
- I PUT A SPELL ON YOU, Jeff Beck (featuring Joss Stone)
- FEELS LIKE RAIN, John Hiatt
- IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT, The Five Satins
- ALL I WANT, Kodaline
- STAY WITH ME, Sam Smith
- YELLOW, Coldplay
- CREEP, Stone Temple Pilots
- DEMONS, Imagine Dragons
- HURT, Johnny Cash
- PEOPLE ARE STRANGE, The Doors
- RUNAWAY TRAIN, Soul Asylum
- COMING FOR YOU, The Offspring
- EVIL WAYS, Blues Saraceno
- QUIET LITTLE VOICES, We Were Promised Jetpacks
- SUITE FOR SOLO CELLO NO. 1 (PRELUDE), Yo-Yo Ma
- LIGHTNING CRASHES, Live
- PUSH THE BUTTON, Amy Lee
- SEVEN DEVILS, Florence and the Machine
- THE PRETENDER, Foo Fighters
- THE GHOST OF YOU, My Chemical Romance
- BRING ME TO LIFE, Evanescence
- ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, Blondie
- NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT, Fred Astaire
How do you start a new work in progress?